Friday, April 25, 2008

Germs on the Side

Like many of you, I tend to spend at least some of my week eating lunch at my desk. It's quick and easy, and -- when the weather's lousy or the workload's heavy-- it makes a lot of sense. In fact, some of my colleagues know it's time for them to head out to lunch by listening for my crinkling brown paper bag.

But research makes me think it's smarter -- certainly healthier -- to head out to Ruby Tuesday's or the local diner come noontime.

According to a report in USA Weekend, there's 400 times more bacteria on the top of a desk than on a toilet seat (I can hear all those thirsty dogs laughing at us now). One factor for this distasteful revelation: More and more of us are spending increasing amounts of time at our workspace. And, cleaning personnel usually won't sanitize our desks, considering them personal space.

Here are some tips if you still plan to eat at your desk: Clean the desktop, phone and computer keyboard and mouse every day. Also, avoid water fountains, as viruses and bacteria love the moist, spit-laden environment.

Meanwhile, doctors and lawyers appear to have the cleanest and safest work environments while teachers harbor up to 20 times more bacteria per square inch than workers in other professions.

Bon appetit!

No comments: