Sunday, March 2, 2008

Snow Please Go

When I was an editor with The Times Union, I usually cringed when a superior -- in title, anyway -- would order I put a "weather story" in a prominent place in the newspaper. It was usually Page 1 and it was usually a story that told readers it snowed ... during the winter ... in upstate New York.

Now, if it was 70 degrees and sunny on Valentine's Day -- well, that's news! But snow here at wintertime? Yawn.

So this blog is very much out of character; I loathe to opine about the weather. It's snowing and it's still winter. What's the big deal?

The big deal is that I am convinced this winter is not going to end. Never. Ever. And I can't take it anymore!

Snow. Ice. Cold. Wind. More snow. A broken snowblower. It's been going on since November; that according to an article in today's Schenectady Gazette. The Gazette quoted the National Weather Service: We've had nearly five feet of snow since July. Yep, July. That's apparently when the Weather Service starts keeping tabs on the snowfall around here. No, I don't get it either.

But the point is, this winter started early and shows no signs of letting up. I don't think it will. Sure, the forecast is for temperatures in the 40s, maybe some sun this week. But it won't last. We'll be planting our American flags in the snow on the Fourth of July.

And that will be news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank: Time for a trip to Florida for you. :)

Frank said...

In fact, that's from where I just returned! Read today's entry and have a great weekend, Cel.